Thursday 18 June 2015

EXCLUSIVE! STEAMING HOT CHARLY BOY @ 60+ INTERVIEW

His Royal Punkness; Charly Boy (born Charles Chukwuemeka Oputa) a.k.a Area Fada is definitely not your everyday kind of artiste. The Nigerian singer/songwriter, television presenter, publisher, producer brought life into the Nigerian entertainment industry in his own peculiar way; and of course made a lot of tongues wag as a result of his controversial and alternative lifestyle and appearance; which he has honourably maintained till date.

Yetunde Oduwole cornered the ex-president of the Performing Musicians Association of Nigeria (PMAN) recently to talk about life at 60+ and; as usual, he was unapologetically himself all through the interview and an interviewer's delight to the letter....

I must say you look too good to be 60+; what is the secret?

It's life style. For a long time, I had always chased clean living. I don't do alcohol, I don't smoke, I'm a gym rat, I watch what I eat and I sleep a lot. My life is very simple, what a lot of people may consider boring. I guess people are always looking at me from the Charly Boy perspective, that's where they all miss it, because Charly Boy does not exist. It's only an act.

How do you feel to be a grandpa and still be youthful and relevant?

I feel great, I feel blessed, I thank God always. It's a mindset thing. I share clothes with my sons sometimes, they tell me what's in and what's out. Most of my associates are all young people. In short I no get wahala. Maybe in the next 3 years or so, I may become a great grand father. Now that would be awesome.

What has been the strength of the Charly Boy Brand over the years?

Consistency, tenacity, tremendous focus, belief in self, the ability to be myself in a conservative environment like Nigeria. You can't make it in life by giving a f..k, that's why I just don't give a f..k. I no send anybody, because if anybody do anyhow for my side, him go see anyhow for my hand.

Do you think your 60s are your best years yet?

Who tell una say I don even reach sixty? Am still a growing young man and you guys are trying to make me older. Abegi. The boy in me will never fail to always come out. This man is still a Boy, Jooor.

You do a lot of social work these days; can you name some?

I mentor and counsel a lot of youths, I give small talks in universities and secondary schools. I basically encourage young people to be tenacious in the pursuit of their dreams, teaching them to believe in themselves and be self-reliant. I know that my lifestyle and philosophy has emboldened a lot of youths to chat their own part. That's why I am the AreaFada.

What prompted you to be a social worker?

My love for humanity


People say you are more people orientated now that your are getting old; they recall that the younger Charly Boy was a firebrand that was too hot to come near. Is this true?

There is a time and season for everything. Most of the brands putouts are all contrived, because I enjoyed pushing people's buttons. Charly Boy was created to shock timid, myopic and 'mungoparkish' Nigerians into a new way of thinking and mindset. I have always been for the masses and will be till I die, that will never change. The ability to shock and awe will never go away. No I have not simmered down as Charly Boy, but I believe that more of me as Charles Emeka Oputa is now coming out than Charly Boy. But people have always been more interested in my antics than my message. They rather talk more about me taking a nap in my casket than me counselling drug addicts or mentoring damaged youths.

Looking back; what good has showbiz brought you?

Fame and Money.

What are the set backs you have encountered in showbiz?

None, too hardcore to backdown. I have always turned my setbacks as setups for my comebacks. I no fit shake.

You used to be a musician; why did you stop singing?

I am not really a musician, I believe I'm more of an artiste. In my book, a musician is someone who can read, write, play an instrument and interpret music. I can't do any of these, so I don't see myself as a musician. Yes I did a few albums but I didn't go that direction to make a career out of that, just for the heck of it and to buy me quick fame. It worked.
The Clan

Who were the women in Charly Boy's life through the years?

Many, many many, how can I remember all? Were you one of them or rather, the one that got away. Ha ha ha. So you expect me to give you names or what? You dey craze. (Loads of Laughter)

What has been the magic that has  kept you and your wife; Lady D together through many years of marriage?

Mutual respect, great understanding, the determination that we want our marriage to work. The friendship we share. Diane is an angel sent by God, custom made for me. I believe that our union is divine, na Godwin.
With Wife, Lady D

Is Charly Boy bisexual?

Why? Wetin I dey find for man yansh? When so many women want to give it to me for free. And If I am, why should I hide it? Is it not my life and am I not an adult? People's sexual preferences are their business. I choose pussy any day any time. (Laughter)

How extreme have you gone all your life?

I have always lived on the edge, I have always taken very calculated risks, I have always been careful because I have always been smart like that.

What is your religion?

My religion is Love. Love for my neighbour and for humanity. I'm a Christian and a Buddhist.

You seem to have a passion for tattoos and piercing. How many times have you been inked and pierced?

I have over 40 piercings on my body, some on my balls and on my dick, one day I will show you. Ha ha. I can't count the number of tattoos I have, but I plan on getting more. The penis piercings were the most painful. Kai. (More Laughter)

You sometimes preach about the grand position of sex in a marriage; does that not diminish with age?

You wan know if my own don diminish? For some, age has slowed them down, for some, age has only made them more hungry.

What is your take about the present showbiz industry in Nigeria?

I am happy and impressed.

What would you like Charly Boy to be remembered for?

Anyhow you wan remember me na for your pocket. I don't give a f..k what people think as I'm alive, why should I give a f..k how I should be remembered? I came I saw I'm conquering all my enemies and all the winches in Nigeria, which one be my own. I'm living my life, you too live your own Jooor. Anyhow you like remember me, na you sabi.

What are the highlights of your 60+ birthday celebration?

My wife say she go mess me up, I'm looking forward to that.

And what's the something in front of the 60?

Something.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.